Open Source DeltaXML Project
This project is initiated to create a multi language DeltaXML format that can serve as a transfer format between the standard DELTA format and (My)SQL databases.
The main goal is to create Web based tools for interchange data between Natural language descriptions and the DELTA format (Standard or XML or MySQL), and later to produce web based data processing tools for creating formatted identification keys and make online identification possible.
Applications based on SQL queries are expected to be very fast especially with large data sets. It will make it possible to work with a group of people on the same dataset, even on the same item at the very same moment. To have your data available any where at any time on any Computer on any platform with internet access and a browser available.
Standard toolsThe project is using the browser as the interface and open source software like XAMPP (Apache Friends) as the server part for the Web. Using PHP script language and MySQL database for development. Any other server with PHP (5) and SQL can be used. XAMPP can be installed and used on a stand alone PC. Standard tools like Microsofts XML editor can be used to view the XML data.
What has been done?
- a web based tool to transfer the three DELTA files (items,
chars & specs)
to DeltaXML has been created (beta 0.1, 16-06-2008)
- a different tool to make the the transfer back into DELTA has been created (beta 0.1, 16-06-2008)
- a data editor+ (DXedit Server version) has been created, that can load and save standard Delta files
as well as DeltaXML, edit the data and create smart Highly formatted
Natural Language Ouput in HTML (beta 0.3.3, 15-01-2012)
- a project list function has been created to show hyrarchical item lists on a smart phone (beta 0.1, 15-01-2012)
- a tool to transfer Natural Language Descriptions into the Database (and thus DELTA format, beta 0.1 10-02-2012)
- a identification tool for online identification (beta 0.1 10-05-2012)
What must be done
- Other tools to process data
- Find out if it is possible to use a subset of the SDD XML format for the DeltaXML definition
- Find out if it is useful to merge XDelta and the DeltaXML definitions
(because as far as I know XDelta has been defined but has never been used)
- The database structure can be viewed by
(it is in text format and opens in your browser).
- An example of DeltaXML file (dump) of 5 characters in one group and 2 items can be viewed by
pressing here. XML can be viewed in your browser
like the text file above.
- The three DELTA files, mentioned above can be translated into DeltaXML by
pressing here. You can view the XML output in
your browser, but be awere it takes a while to load (parse the 860 kb data).
- The Web based DeltaXML Editor (DXedit.php) can be started by
- The source is available from this site in a zip file (press here to load)
Taxasoft Botanic Garden (Collection Data Management System). An open source project in which you can participate, click hereEric Gouda
Updated July 29 2016 12:01